Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Crazy garden; finished!




I finally decided to finish the quilt with a 1/2" black binding. It occurred to me that if I kept it small, I had wall space where I could hang it in my bedroom. Then I remembered that I still needed to do something with the 4 inner corners, where the blocks come together. I'd put the button cluster over one, so I stitched vintage metal buttons on two others and used a crocheted motif with a button center for the 4th. Then I remembered that I wanted to do my signature stitch somewhere on it. I dug out my pendant and realized that I'd been doing the stitch wrong. I have now finalized how I want it to look. I think.....
The last thing I want to do is make a label for the back, listing the people who said the quotations on the front. This is how they go, beginning at the upper left block (row 1, block 1) and going left to right and top to bottom:
R1B1 "When the deep purple falls over sleepy garden walls..." song lyric from Deep Purple by M. Parish
R1B2 "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." Shakespeare
R1B3 "The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent upon it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do." Galileo
R2B1 "May things grow in the garden that were never sown there." T. Fuller
R2B2 "I dream of a crazy garden, locked within walls gone grey, where never a leaf has fallen, never a petal strayed." I penned this just to tie all the blocks together in the garden theme.
R2B3 "Don't sit under the apple tree with anyone else but me..." song lyric from Apple Tree by L. Brown, C. Tobias, and S.H. Stept
R3B1 "Earth laughs in flowers." R.W. Emerson
R3B2 "The Lord is my shepherd....He leads me beside still waters..." Psalm 23; and "In the spring rain, the pond and the river have become one." Y. Buson
R3B3 "A weed is no more than a flower in disguise." J.P. Cowell

5 comments:

Magpie Sue said...

Those are some great quotes. What a wonderful quilt!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you spelled "grey" with an e! You are my mother!

Susan said...

If your choice of quotes is anything to judge by, we have more than science fiction in common! This is just beautiful. The heart/flower is your sig? I love it. I guess I won't copy it, then. =) I thought it looked so appealing in that corner.

Lauri said...

Janet
As I told you when I saw it in person. I love this, it turned out great.Now I have an excuse to get Dennis to take me to the fair. See you Saturday!
LAuri

Jo in NZ said...

This is a wonderful quilt. So colourful, which those that know me, know I admire greatly, as I can't do 'colourful'. You have pulled it off so well. I hope it goes well at the fair.