Thursday, May 31, 2007

Ugly butterfly project is complete...I think

Unless I decide it needs just a little more....something. After the last photos I posted of it, I attached the wings, top to bottom, and made the body. The body is fully stuffed, and I wasn't too sure if I liked it that thick. But after I beaded the eyes and added antenna, I think it's good. This becomes more of a wall sculpture, maybe, than a quilt, but that's okay. I also added a little beading to the black areas on the wings; just a touch of the same beads I used in the eyes. The first picture here is the machine embroidered label that Quilter's Corner provided to all participants. We weren't required to use them, but they are so darn cute, who could resist?

The next photo is the back, showing the "sleeve" that can be used to run a wooden dowel through for hanging. Each upper wing has a sleeve.

The third photo is a close up of the body, showing the eye and antenna. The antenna is just a black chenille stem. I thought about covering it with fabric, but the fuzziness works for me.

And lastly, ta-da! The finished ugly duckling butterfly. It measures 29" from wingtip to wingtip, and about 19" from top to bottom. Will the recipient like it, hate it, or say, "Oh, that's nice"? I'll have to let you know after June 9th. What do you think she'll say?










8 comments:

Mary said...

That is so pretty!!! I love it!!

Susan said...

Oh, it isn't ugly at all now! I love your cute little tag, too.

Marissa said...

Why ugly? It´s beautiful! Congratulations!
Marissa
:)

Charlene ♥ NC said...

I don't know what the recipient will say, but I say Wonderful. All the great embroidery motifs, and the delicate stitching! Looks like a 'swan' to me!

Anonymous said...

Janet I love it! Is it for me?
Hugs Simona

JK said...

Hon, this is simply stunning! I just love that tag too!! Where did you get that?? Beautiful work and congrats hon for a job well done.

Thelma said...

I would hate to have to part with it. It is beautiful!! You done a fantastic job. Wished I was the one to get it. (g) If she doesn't like it then something is diffinately wrong with her.

Willa said...

Just fabulous! Great use of color... just like the ugly duckling.. beautiful in the end.. (from a butterfly collector, soooo lock your doors and winders.. or it may flyyy awayyyy... hehehe!) Willa from Florida