Recently I agreed to participate in the Ugly Duckling Fabric challenge that my local quilt shop, Quilter's Corner, puts on. Each person was asked to bring in a 1/2 yard piece of "the most neglected fabric" in their stash. The store owner switched around the fabrics and handed them back out. We were given almost 6 weeks to make something, anything, quilted out of the "ugly" fabric and fabric we purchased or from our stashes.
I almost didn't do it because I know most, if not all, of the other ladies would be doing sane quilt projects, and I didn't know if the fabric I got would lend itself to crazy quilting. Well, I took one look inside the bag at my challenge fabric and knew that a cq angel had been sitting on the store owner's shoulder. It is the green print fabric you see in the picture above. It has well-spaced butterflies, dragonflies, ladybugs, bees, and something that looks like a firefly or moth; perfect for fussy-cutting, or cutting the individual bugs out for a cq patch. It's so perfectly suited to cqing that I'm not sure how one would use it effectively in a sane quilt. And bugs! I love bugs! And I don't think a cq is complete without a spider and web, so you know that's going in there. In this photo, the two bottom wings have been somewhat embellished; they have seam treatment embroidery. I have since added a short quotation to one of the upper wings; May things grow in the garden that were never sown there. T. Fuller.
The size is about 29" across the upper wings, and 20" top to bottom, but it will eventually have a body in between the wings. I plan to hang it by using a fabric tube sewn on the back of the upper wings that a wooden dowel will slide through. I'm making this up as I go, so hopefully that will work. It needs to be complete and back to the store by June 7th. I hope the lady who brought in the bug fabric likes crazy quilting.
Michaela has reminded me that I should say that she gave me the idea for this project. She suggested a butterfly shaped pillow, which I morphed into this idea.