Monday, October 13, 2008

Yellow color study round robin

I thought I'd better post a CQ related photo, as 3 of the last 4 posts have been a bit off topic. This block belongs to Pam C. in NSW, Australia. I'm not sure you can relate unless you've done an international RR, but having in my hands a block that originated on the other side of the world is just mind-bogglingly wonderful to me. And getting to put my own work on it is incredible! My yellow block will also eventually be in Australia and get worked on by Pam, so that just doubles the boggle!

I'm the second to get to work on this block, and I took over the upper left corner, adding a seamline of wheat ears done in a yellow variegated perle cotton that I hand-dyed myself (when I say "hand-dyed" I mean that quite literally; you can always tell when I've been playing in the dye, as my fingers get dyed too). The interspersing leaves are plastic attachments that I bought in Denver. I also added the applique kitty (a purchased applique that has been waiting patiently in my button box to find a home on a block), the beaded sun (beads I added to one of those spare buttons that came with a sweater I've long forgotten and no longer own), and the seam down the left side, which is a leafy design that is also done in hand-dyed perle cotton in shades of yellow and yellow-green.

Yesterday was the first cold day of the fall, and we hadn't turned our heater on yet, so I made a fire in the fireplace. Jaxon LOVES a fire in the fireplace. As soon as I open the glass doors, he's right there beside me watching everything I do as if he's trying to memorize the steps so he can do it himself someday. Once the fire is going, he'll stand in front of it for a few minutes soaking it in, then he'll flop down and have a nap. I think in this picture, though, he is practicing some type of doggie yoga. Let's see, you cross your right hind leg over your right front and hold and breathe......

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I absolutely love your work on Pam's block! Your stitching is perfect and the colors are wonderful. I see you're enjoying those plastic leaves as much as I am! I've already used some that you've sent me (thanks again!). Hugs, Cathy

Anonymous said...

That's great stuff! I love the button sun, and your seams are terrific.

Cindibee said...

Hey! Just popping over to say hi, and thanks for your comment on my blog! I'm running out the door to run errands, so I haven't yet gotten a chance to take a look at your blog other than the first post or two, but I just wanted to say hi and thank you before I forgot about your kind comment and failed to respond altogether. I am often way too scatterbrained for my own good.

Take care, and I'll talk to you later!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Nice work on the yellow theme block! It looks so fresh and pretty.

I wanted to give Jaxon a hug, and had to do a little back reading. His build reminds me of my DS great dane, but I see that he isn't. Don't you wish we could do those yoga poses so easily?