Thursday, August 30, 2007

Restoring a "sane" quilt for a change

This quilt was done for a customer through Laura's Home, the restoration business that I've been working with for the last 6 months or so. Laura sent me the last two crazy quilt restoration jobs, and this is one that came to me from a fellow that my sister worked with. I was happy to do it with Laura's help and her vintage fabric stash!
There was a hole in the center of this quilt, where 3 of the diamond shapes were missing, as well as two of the white squares and two triangles. In order to keep the blocks looking as well planned as they originally were, I removed 8 diamond shapes from one block and used 3 of those to fix the damaged block. Then I had to replace the 8, which I did with a vintage pink floral print. The four center blocks had either never had or had lost their batting and quilting stitches, so I replaced the batting and hand quilted all four blocks to hold it in place. Lastly, I put a new binding on it.

This is the finished quilt with all but the top row of blocks visible. It is a beautiful pattern, with some of the stars done in a variety of prints, which gives the impression of pinwheels, and some done all in one print, which looks more star-like. It was originally made by the owner's grandmother and even though it's a family heirloom, it is now usable again as a quilt.

No comments: