Monday, August 6, 2007

Halloween block; progress

I've done a few seams on the block, and identified some that will not have regular seam treatments. The seam between the print and the red fabric on the left is held by the tree branches I added, so it doesn't need anything else. The seam between the print and the shiny burgundy on the right is held by bats and lightning. Lightning and tree branches also covers the seam to the right of the shiny burgundy. I don't know if you can tell from these photos, but the tree on the left is printed on the fabric, except where I've extended the branches into the red and blue patches with embroidery. The tree on the right is entirely embroidered.

There's a fence done in embroidery that goes around the cemetery. The large spider web in the upper corner is bordered by a straight stitch done in a fan shape and embellished with black beads with an iridescent coating. I am finding it rather hard to come up with seam embroidery that looks spooky. Any suggestions?






2 comments:

Amy a.k.a. dragonryder4 said...

You could make some witch brooms out of satin ( for the handle ) & straight stitches and use them as a seam , maybe flip every other one . That's about all I can think of for spooky stitches.
http://www.rattiemom.blogspot.com

Susan said...

What I like best about this block is that you saw the cemetary with the big dark tree when you looked at your block. I never saw it until you drew it in thread!

Where are you putting the spider and web? Jack o'lanterns?