Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Laurel Birch mermaid bag

Every year for the past 4 or 5, I have made a donation of a block or something CQed to the Crazy Quilt convention in Omaha. The items are raffled or auctioned either to benefit breast cancer research or for scholarships to the convention. Last year I made a tote bag with some CQ blocks, and this year I'll be using the same pattern, but have chosen some Laurel Birch designer fabric with a mermaid and sea horse print.

Two of the blocks have a patch of the sea horse print, along with some "poke you in the eye" coordinating colored patches and stitching. I would have loved to add beads and all that fun stuff, but I'm hoping this will be a usable bag, so I restrained myself and just used embroidery, lace, yarn, and buttons.

This block has a mommy mermaid with her child. I added a wreath of sea flowers to her head and a button cluster for her to hide behind if anyone unfriendly comes too close.

This mermaid is even more shy; she needed a fan coral and some colorful seaweed to duck behind. She's holding a parrot of some aquatic type, so she got pink feathers along with the flowers in her hair.
When the bag is finished, I'll post a pic of it.

6 comments:

Lori said...

What a beautiful bag that is going to be! I love working with bright cheerful colors and Laurel Birch is right up my alley! Your stitches are exquisite and I love the button trails! Great Job! are you making one for yourself?
Lori

Gerry said...

I love the colors! You're going to have an awesome bag.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Susan said...

I love what you are doing with these Laurel Burch fabric pieces! That seahorse part is just fabulous! Of course, the mermaids are, too, especially the shy one.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Charlene ♥ NC said...

So pretty! It's a great bag, and i know they will love having it in their auction! Love the button trail 'treasures'...