Friday, March 28, 2008

Color study, part 2.....reinventing the wheel

For some reason yesterday, the idea of the color study and the color wheel came together in my head and wouldn't let me rest until I had planned (yes, I actually "planned"!) out a new project. I drew out a 26" circle on two chunks of butcher paper (taped together) and divided it into 6 equal pieces. I used a lid to make a center circle. Then I cut muslin foundations for each of the 6 wedges and one for the center. My fancy fabrics were already sort of divided up by color, so I was able to piece both the purple and yellow blocks.

Here's how they look right now and how they will be oriented on the final quilt. The center circle will be black and white. I found a beautiful satiny black and silver brocade at Joann's last time I was there, but I have some other fancies to go with it.

Even though I'm starting over as far as the color study is concerned, I think I'll be able to finish this in time for the fair. I'm excited about it, it means 2 fewer blocks to do, and I've been thinking in terms of monochromatic work for a month or more.

7 comments:

Lori said...

WOW! what a really neat idea! can't wait to see when it is finished!
Lori

WIPPYSPLACE said...

JANET--you are so clever!!! I wish I could be as creative as others--what I great idea! *~*CAROLE*~*

Judy S. said...

It's fun to see someone have a creative idea and run with it. You are very clever!

JK said...

Hey darlin...first thanks for stopping by and your lovely words..much appreciated!

What a great idea with that color wheel! Looking forward to it's completion..

Your purple block is beautiful.. I didn't join in on this one because I get overwhelmed just turning around..

Gerry said...

This is a very neat idea. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Also, you small blocks are darling!

Courtney Short said...

that circle idea is so cool!! I can't wait to see it finished.. I can't say enough how inspiring your projects are.. you always have such wonderful new ideas to share.. I am still wanting to do one of those landscape blocks..

Charlene ♥ NC said...

I just finished looking at all your color blocks, and they are so beautiful. I Love, love 'your' frog. He is SO sweet. Your button clusters are very nicely done, too. All your stitching is so pretty, delicate, and even! I see that you're putting this in a fair, was it? Will it hang in your craft room after that? It is going to be beautiful!