For some reason yesterday, the idea of the color study and the color wheel came together in my head and wouldn't let me rest until I had planned (yes, I actually "planned"!) out a new project. I drew out a 26" circle on two chunks of butcher paper (taped together) and divided it into 6 equal pieces. I used a lid to make a center circle. Then I cut muslin foundations for each of the 6 wedges and one for the center. My fancy fabrics were already sort of divided up by color, so I was able to piece both the purple and yellow blocks.
Here's how they look right now and how they will be oriented on the final quilt. The center circle will be black and white. I found a beautiful satiny black and silver brocade at Joann's last time I was there, but I have some other fancies to go with it.
Even though I'm starting over as far as the color study is concerned, I think I'll be able to finish this in time for the fair. I'm excited about it, it means 2 fewer blocks to do, and I've been thinking in terms of monochromatic work for a month or more.