Sunday, March 2, 2008

Hazle's block

I recently traded some work with a friend from CQ4N. She has an embroidery machine and offered to do some bugs for me in exchange for my working on a block for her large quilt project. I used a piece of lace and some trim that I dyed myself, and the iris-like flowers in the upper left corner are done in some DMC size 8 perle cotton that I also dyed in a dusty rose and lavender variegated color.

This is a button, bead, and silk ribbon embroidery motif. The iris is a hand painted (not by me) plastic button.

In the lower right corner are some climbing roses done in French knots and cast-on stitch, which I am finally getting the hang of!

And here's the whole block. The colors and fabrics are really pretty, so they inspired me. I hope Hazle likes it, 'cause I LOVE the bugs she did for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janet,

I love what you did on my block. I will be honored to include it in my quilt.

Thank you so much,

Hazle

Judy S. said...

Hi Janet,

I love to double click on your blocks and study the details of your stitching. Did Hazle do your bugs on an embroidery machine or by hand? She's very lucky to have made this trade with you!

Diane said...

It's so pretty. I have a couple of questions. What kind of beads did you use for your leaves on the climbing roses? and what is a cast on stitch?
Thanks
Diane

Diane said...

It's so pretty. I have a couple of questions. What kind of beads did you use with the climbing roses? and what is the cast on stitch?
Diane