Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Color study; purple


Here's my all purple block for my color study project. The lace is some that I dyed using the soak-water from black beans. I soaked the beans overnight and the next morning after I drained the water off, I soaked some lace in it for an hour or so, then put it into vinegar as a mordant. It gave this lace an overall purple tone with spots of blueish purple.
I included the 3 linked rings that are found on some antique quilts, some very pretty buttons, and a lovely purple iridescent spider on her metallic lavender web. I made good use of one of the Sassa Lynn threads that I bought from Susan; it's a variegated purple.

As I write this, I'm reminded of an old family joke. When I was a girl, I went with my grandmother to Montgomery Wards. She needed a good all-purpose coat, something that would work for the coolish weather of spring and fall. She asked the salesclerk if they had any all-purpose coats, and the clerk got a puzzled look on her face. "I don't think we have any all-purple coats...." We all got a good laugh out of it, and now it's a family joke to look for an all-purple coat.

Up next: the yellow block.

4 comments:

WIPPYSPLACE said...

I have tried tea dying, and koolaid dying--but not soak water--great thinking!! The block is wonderful (as is my green one) --you work is the best! I am looking forward to seeing what you do with yellow! THANKS for sharing *~*CAROLE*~*

Judy S. said...

Hi Janet,

Have you tried dying with onion skin? They make a great goldish-yellos. One person on the blogs I visit dyed Easter eggs with spinach and beets, so I bet they'd work also.

Great spider! I also love the way you offset the wheels/fans with lace and the way you carefully interlocked the rings. I really enjoy studying the details of your work!

Grandma said...

Janet, That is GREAT...Bean Water! You should use some of that in your Food Fight Block. LOL
Judy in Indiana

Maddie Can Fly said...

I loved the dyed lace -- who knew old beans would give such a great color? Thanks for putting ideas in my head (LOL)