Monday, February 18, 2008

Cheater cloth, antique and reproductions...


This is a bit of the cheater cloth I bought on Ebay a few years ago. If I told you how much I paid for it, I'd have to kill you, so let's just say it was the world's most expensive fat quarter. It was sold to me as vintage, but that was called into question a few months ago when I learned there had been reproductions made of it in 1976 and 1997.

So here's the proof. Cindy Brick's new book, titled Crazy Quilts, shows a photo of all three together. Mine is definitely antique.
The really cool thing is that in confirming Cindy's permission to print this photo on my blog, she made this offer: Anyone who orders her book from her at her site, "Brickworks", will get to buy it for $23.95 (which is $6 off the cover price!) if you mention my name. This is a big, lovely book, with information on antique crazies and a how-to section that includes 3 separate piecing techniques. I'm not affiliated with Cindy, just a happy customer!

2 comments:

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Thanks so much, Janet. Yours is so pretty - imagine those colors surrounding a part of that wonderful vintage piece!
I think mine is like none of those... I'll have to investigate further!

Judy S. said...

Hi Janet,

I'll bet you feel great to have verified that your piece is authentic!

We've been gone seeking some sunshine for a bit, so I am playing catch up with blog visits. You've been busy, that's for sure. I love your food fight blocks and got a good laugh over the 4 food groups one...my thoughts precisely.

On your most recent chocolate block, what is the stitch with the pearls? I love it! Your hearts are beautiful, too. I finally have mine partially embellished....am such a SLOW worker!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!