Monday, February 14, 2011

Cathy L.'s For the Birds

I received Cathy L.'s blocks early in February. It was difficult to choose one to embellish. The block in the upper right was done by Connie K. Mine is in the lower right.

Here's a close up of mine. I have a hard time working on blocks with so many print fabrics, so the first thing I did was use a piece of a doily in the corner to give myself a "blank" canvas. Not really blank, of course, as the doily is lacy and allows the colors of the fabric underneath to show through, but it makes for a nice spot for a floral arrangement. The seam over the bird's head includes some little white "feathers"; actually stacked fly stitches. The meandering gimp (sounds like the name of an obscure rock band) supports two bullion stitch yellow birds. I believe they are cockatoos, but I'm not sure. Cocka-somethings anyway. Next I will do a little work on another block and then they get sent on to Nicki Lee.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Hi, Janet! I love what you did with my block and the cocka-somethings. And, yes, I guess I am known for my busy blocks challenging everyone ;-) I guess it comes from my love for scrappy sane quilts. Can't get it out of my system. I think I am going to make a bed runner to go on top of a quilt. And you should see the wild fabrics in the quilt!

Anyway, thank you for your work.

Cathy L