Sunday, October 7, 2007

Fall swap blocks


On CQ for Newbies, we are doing a Season to Season "swap", where we each piece a block, embellish half of it, and then send it to a partner to be finished. My partner is Judi in.....Washington, I think. After the block is completed, we will get our own back, so it's not a true swap, just a temporary one. This is Judi's block as I received it. She did some very clever little pumpkins using orange felt and floss. She also used a nice variety of textured and printed fabrics.

Here it is with my embellishment added. I used some lace motifs that I dyed at Lauri's house last week. The flowers in the motifs are a softly muted lavender. There wasn't much purple in Judi's block, so I hope she doesn't mind that I've added a bit. It is very soft and doesn't scream purple. The color reminds me of chrysanthemums. I gave each of those flowers a center of a single orange bead. Just had to find a way to put orange and purple together, didn't I? I also used a lace motif that Lauri gave me; the gold one in the upper right corner. It adds a nice balance to the gold leaves in the lower left corner.

And of course, that black center patch just begged for a spider web. The spider is made with two iridescent gold glass beads for the head and body, and perle cotton legs. The web is a Kreinik blending filament (by itself). This was a delightful way to spend a Sunday afternoon and evening, thanks for letting me work on it, Judi!

2 comments:

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Great job! Your dyed laces are very pretty, and love your spider and web!

Judy S. said...

Hi Janet,

I really enjoy looking at your work. The spider is so cute, and the purple flowers look just like the asters that are blooming in our yard right now. Lucky Judi!

The other Judy S. from WA