Saturday, July 9, 2011

Growing in my yard

Last year I got a potted moss rose for Mother's day that was so beautiful. They were the biggest blossoms in a hot pink/magenta color that just bloomed their little hearts out all summer. This year I was a bit late in getting to the green house, and couldn't find the same flower, so I bought some small 4 packs of various colors. I also got some coleus, which I've loved forever. They all looked so spindly when I potted them, but the moss rose have taken off like crazy! The poor coleus haven't had a chance.

I got some of the variegated pink ones; they're my favorites this year. None of them are as big as the ones last year, but the variety of color makes up for it.

I also bought 3 tomato plants. One is a super huge giganto something-or-other, one is a yellow pear tomato, and one is a grapette. I filled a plastic tub with potting soil and planted them all together, and they are looking wonderful and blooming and setting on little tomatoes. Today we ate a couple of the yellow ones and one grapette.

In the evenings, I've enjoyed watching this little garden spider set up housekeeping between two of the moss rose pots. She builds the most intricate and perfect webs. The spiraling strands are only about 1/16th of an inch apart, so even though the whole orb is only about 6" across, it takes a good long while to spin it. Then she takes up her place in the center and waits for supper.

1 comment:

Judy S. said...

AS we pulled out of our driveway yesterday, I noticed a spiderweb just like the one you described. The spider was in the exact middle, waiting patiently. Love your moss rose photos as they don't seem to want to grow here. Great finds at the thrift shop as well; it'll be fun to see what you do with them!