Wednesday, April 6, 2011

3D butterfly-the finish!

To attach the butterfly to a block, I like to stitch down just the body using bullion knots, actually forming the body out of the rows of bullions. I did two browns, then a black, two browns, etc., but you could do whatever combination you like.

Keep stitching until you come to where the body should end; usually the print on the fabric will show that. I ended off the tip of the abdomen with French knots, alternating brown and tan.

Next I added a couple of large iridescent beads for the eyes...


...and some antennae and legs. The wings will lift up off the block, especially if you pin them together for a time.

Kerry L. also uses this method, and has added her own twist; she often does each wing separately, and attaches them to the block and each other with the body stitching. This is something you could do if you find a butterfly print fabric in which only one side of the butterfly wing is shown. Some of the butterflies in the fabric I used are printed this way, and I've used that method too.

I'd also like to try this method just using a printed fabric or batik. One could cut out the butterfly shape and stitch it and turn it just like described here. It would be a butterfly like never existed in nature, but it might be fun!

5 comments:

Ruby said...

Your stitching gives the butterfly such detail that it comes to life. Great!

Unknown said...

Wow Janet how awesome your butterfly is......I love it and thanks for the tutorial....

Laurie said...

Ok this is awesome! I'm going to make some of these with the fabrics I have. Thanks!

Maddie Can Fly said...

Thank you Janet. I am the proud owner of one of your butterflies on my fantasy RR block.

visite nossa galeria said...

Thanks for posting thiis