Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bees, Butterflies, and Beetles RR

This is the RR for which I made the large white/cream cotton circle block. I have apparently been so eager for this RR to start that I dreamed one night that I was in a vegetable garden and saw many huge beetles. They were the size of salad plates, and beautifully shiny in yellow, orange, and red, with black spots. I even dreamed I picked one up because I was so curious about how heavy they might be.

The first block I got to work on is Diane's. I met Diane in Breckenridge last September and she is delightful! So glad we got into a RR together! I promised her I wouldn't add any huge red beetles, but she gave me permission to (I didn't think they'd look good, so I didn't do it). She did request that we avoid adding butterflies, as she has an aversion to them and moths.

I was the first to work on this block, and I just loved the colors and the central flower fairy patch. First I did the SRE rose spray and added the green twining vines with dusty rose beads. Then I did the seam to the right of that patch, using dark burgundy thread and aqua beads; not a combination I'd usually put together, but on this block it is so pretty. Then I attached the hand dyed lace motif and made the feather stitch vines coming out of it. I appliqued the shiny gold beetle, then added 10 (yes, count 'em, 10) tiny bees hovering around the flowers. I wouldn't mind continuing on this block, as the theme and colors really appealed to me, but I've got to leave room for 3 other stitchers!

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Go-a-jus work Janet. I love your SRE roses and buds.

Shawkl said...

Beautiful work! I'm glad I found your blog through Nickilee! I'll be following along...

Kathy (www.shawkl.com)

Juli said...

The vines you did are fantastic! How did you do the beetle. As much as I don't like bugs, it is really cute (especially knowing that it isn't alive!!).

Juli

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Janet. You are so good! I love it all. Your work is stunning:)

At first when you said that Diane didn't like butterflies I was "what?" Since they are my favorite thing. But I cant laugh since my 13 year old detests ladybugs, has to do with being traumatized when he was 2 (which when not around him and we tell the story is actually hysterical)He has determined they are his "frienemy" since he technically knows they are cute and nice but to him are his mortal enemy.

So I understand Diane's dilemma.

All in all your work is gorgeous and as usual perfect color choices. Love viewing your work! Keep on posting:):)


Ann Flowers
flowerscrazyq@gmail.com

Lori said...

love your block!

Maddie Can Fly said...

As always -- gorgeous! Love the bees and the beetle too.

Kay said...

I love this.... I just printed out the photo so I could study it while I'm stitching. I love the SRE and the bees and the vines.... everything is perfect.

Diane said...

I love everything! The silk ribbon so pretty and the bugs are great. And it's coming back to me!!!

Gerry Krueger said...

I absolutely adore your little bees and am going to put lots like them on my daff block because of you!!!!!! Gerry K.