This is the RR for which I made the large white/cream cotton circle block. I have apparently been so eager for this RR to start that I dreamed one night that I was in a vegetable garden and saw many huge beetles. They were the size of salad plates, and beautifully shiny in yellow, orange, and red, with black spots. I even dreamed I picked one up because I was so curious about how heavy they might be.
The first block I got to work on is Diane's. I met Diane in Breckenridge last September and she is delightful! So glad we got into a RR together! I promised her I wouldn't add any huge red beetles, but she gave me permission to (I didn't think they'd look good, so I didn't do it). She did request that we avoid adding butterflies, as she has an aversion to them and moths.
I was the first to work on this block, and I just loved the colors and the central flower fairy patch. First I did the SRE rose spray and added the green twining vines with dusty rose beads. Then I did the seam to the right of that patch, using dark burgundy thread and aqua beads; not a combination I'd usually put together, but on this block it is so pretty. Then I attached the hand dyed lace motif and made the feather stitch vines coming out of it. I appliqued the shiny gold beetle, then added 10 (yes, count 'em, 10) tiny bees hovering around the flowers. I wouldn't mind continuing on this block, as the theme and colors really appealed to me, but I've got to leave room for 3 other stitchers!