Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My Christmas greeting

May your Christmas be filled with friends and family, food and fun, peace and joy! This is my 22nd year to make my own Christmas card design. I'm running low on ideas, and have revisited the inspiration for my card in 1990, the lion and the lamb. I gave it a Colorado twist this time, with a mountain lion and Dall sheep lamb, both Rocky Mountain natives.
"Then the wolf shall be a guest of the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; The calf and young lion shall browse together, with a little child to guide them." Isaiah 11:6

The "family circle" is something I've been adding to the back of our card for 21 years. Corbin is fascinated with it (I think he likes it better than the front of the cards) so yesterday I got out the copies I have saved of all of the cards and showed him how his mom and aunts have grown from tiny girls into big girls, how I added his daddy and him, then Zack to the group, and how both of them have grown. In 2002, I added our pug, Jazmine the angel dog, to the design (she died in 2001, but I didn't think to add her that year). Corbin loves the fact that he's trying to take a present out of his mom's hands. The circle has had to grow from its beginning size of about 1" to nearly 2 1/2". Every year it's a challenge to fit everyone in and make the changes in their appearance from the previous year, but making my own cards is a gift I give to myself, and one I hope to continue as long as I am able.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your family circle story. What a wonderful idea that was. Merry Christmas to you and all your family.

Connie said...

What a wonderful idea Janet! You are so thoughtfully creative!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous card!! I too like the back as well as the front. Maybe one year you cpuld actually use the back of the card as the front.... Awesome sentiment...from the heart, to the heart...Debbie (Maine)

NormaH said...

What a wonderfully creative talent you have! I, too, love the family circle story and agree that it would be beautiful as the front of the card as well as the back.
Have a very Merry Christmas!

Threadhead said...

Janet, what a wonderful message and story. Thank you for sharing.
blessya
Linda

Judy S. said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful card and wonderful family circle story, Janet. Have a very happy, healthy 2009 with lots of creative stitching.