Monday, October 22, 2012

Happy Halloween!

 I've been working on this hat off and on for two years. Got it started the first year the CQI retreat was in Estes Park. As you can see, it's almost done. I still need to finish the outer edge of the brim and tidy up the inside of the brim where it's attached to the cone part.
 This has been such a fun project that I sort of hated to finish it. And I kept finding things and thinking of things to add to its "witchiness". But I really want to wear it this year, so it had to get finished.
 It's got some wording on it: "something wicked this way comes!" and "You say WICKED like it's a bad thing" and "Hocus Pocus". On the brim it says "Don't make me call the flying monkeys" and "Double, double, toil and trouble, Fire burn and cauldron bubble".
 This view is looking straight down from the tip of the cone.
And this is the bottom of the brim. I still need to add a spider to that web; probably a dangling bead spider, though I have some pins that would work as well. Getting it put together was as complicated as I thought it would be, especially getting it to fit on my large head. I used some heavy-duty interfacing to support all that embellishment, and it was difficult to needle through. I ended up having to attach the cone to the brims by hand, and it was very slow going. But it's done and I like it so much I may wear it for Thanksgiving and Christmas too!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

AWESOME!! You did a fantastic job! Make sure you get and post a picture of you wearing it!

I started my hat last year and haven't worked on it this year. Looks like it will take me two years too!