Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Jewels on Black

I signed up to do another round robin on CQI, this one being a DYB, or "do your block". Each of the 6 stitchers pieces their own six 6" blocks, in this case done in all black, and then they make the rounds. Each person gets to choose one of the blocks in the package to embellish completely, then sends them all on their way to the next stitcher. By the time they get to the last stitcher, that person only has two unembellished blocks to choose from, but they get the pleasure of seeing all the other embellished blocks. The owner then gets their blocks back, and 5 of them are done, with one last one left for the owner to complete.

Anyway, this block is not part of that group, but when I signed up, I really wanted to stitch on something black and knew it would be a month at least until the RR go going, so I pieced this one for myself. It's shown here partially embellished:

And finished:

This was one of those blocks that didn't really grab me until near the end. When I added that black and white rick-rack trim (I don't usually like rick-rack, but this I love) and then the orange roses, I finally felt like it was going to be a good block. Don't know what I'm going to do with it, but I like it!

1 comment:

Darlene said...

Cool block, would be neat as some kind of "day of the dead" celebration tote, or on a denim shirt.... looking forward to playing with the black blocks